Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Guilty as Charged

     OK I know, I know it has been over a year since I posted last. That comes mostly from not being deployed, and not having near as much time on my hands to simply think and reflect. I just read a blog post however that made me sit and think for a sec. It is a review of a chapter from a book by Boaz Michael of FFoZ fame entitled "Tent of David: Healing the Vision of the Messianic Gentile". Part of my spiritual growth since I was introduced to the Hebrew roots of my faith has been a shift from an initial fear of anything from Jewish "tradition" to seeing the beauty, wisdom, and necessity of those traditions. Unfortunately at the same time I progressed from wanting to learn and incorporate the Torah into my life, to a complete rejection of anything from the "Church". I have gradually over the last year or so come to the realization that a rejection of the traditions of the church is just as unbalanced as rejection of the "Law".

     Many Messianic Believers like to point out the presumptuousness of Christian theology in supposing that G-d had done away with the law, and that Jews who have been studying there scriptures for over 3000 years don’t have as good a grasp on those scriptures as Christians who have been studying it for at least a thousand years less.  What some of us (and I say us because I know I am guilty of this as well) have failed to realize is that it is equally as presumptuous to think that Christianity could have spread across the entire planet without the approval of The Most High. Of course we have theological differences with people on all sides of the equation. There is nothing wrong with good natured open debate. Debate is a cornerstone of Jewish learning in fact. We have to keep the vitriol out of the tone of the discussion however. Remember that this to comes from G-d. The prophet Isaiah cautioned:

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness....
Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
And prudent in their own sight!"


Once again as always, I could be completely wrong about this.

Be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment