Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Joker

"You don't think your existence you live it, the thoughts are a descriptive reflection. Lots of people believe things but do not act on them. Thus it's got to be a total package from will. If you really believe (from experience not rhetoric) , then you will have the discipline and self regulation to become the embodiment of those values."
From a post I found on the philosophy of the Joker from Batman. Yah, I really like the Joker. His philosophy used to really apeal to me before I discovered that the idea of "the Law" is a good thing. Complete lawlessness and a rejection of sociatal norms really is where a repudiation of G-ds law naturally leads when you take that philosophy to its conclusion. I digress... a lot.

OK, so this got me thinking on the concept of emunah (yah I got back to the point). Emunah translates as faith, but means far more then beliefe. It is faith filled, faith fueled action. Just recently my wife and I have been discussing changing our diet to more closely reflect a Rabbinic Kosher diet. Why is it that food is one of the places we resist change in the most? For crying out loud it's just food. My struggle  right now is that I am deployed to Afghanistan. No, it is not what you think.

You see while I am not deployed I eat in my house, at my table, the meals my wife cooks. No problem.

While I am deployed I eat at the Dining Facility, lovingly refered to as the D-Fac by military personel. In the D-Fac every morning they serve the most wonderfull food in the whole world. Creamed Beef. I would put this stuff in a cup and drink it if I didnt think it would make me sick. I particularly like it on my eggs and hashbrowns all siwrled up together.

Do you see the problem. For those of you reading who are'nt in the Know, here is the equation

meat/dairy + RAB Kosher = Naughty.

So please pray for me, because I have decided to eliminate this patern of eating from my life and the creamed beef still becons me from across the room.

Side note: I went to the D-Fac and made my self a sandwich, and a bowl of chicken noodle soup, when there was perfeclty good cream of broccoli soup sitting right next to it. ( I really do prefer cream of broccoli...yummy) Feeling triumphant I walked out of the D-Fac beeming, I was aglow in my spiritual triumph. Then I realised that I had put swiss cheese on my turkey sandwich. I swear to you, I could hear G-d laughing.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome, I so look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous23/1/11 04:58

    OK. I agree with God that was funny.
    Luv ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete