Monday, January 31, 2011

Real Motivation

So I was in a bit of a funk, and angry at the Army. "How could you possibly be mad at the Army?", you might ask. Well I'll tell yah. (and by the way that is slang for 'you' not a funky spelling of the name of the most high, which I probably wouldn't write in a post anyway). So I have kids 3 of which have developmental issues (for those who don't know two of them have Asperger's, and one of them is high functioning autistic) The Army has programs for soldiers with children with developmental issues. However the Army Psych's will not admit that my children have developmental issues because then they have to allow them in their silly programs.

OK so just one thing right, of  course not. I have a father who's health is none to strong. he has suffered some three ( or is it four, I think I have honestly lost count) heart attacks and two strokes. the last of which left him with afaisia, efasia, whatever he can't talk coherently, and left half of his body nearly paralysed. My mother has been doing a praise worthy job in taking care of him, but to be honest she isn't getting any younger. ( this by the by is not a knock on my mothers health. That retired master sergeant could probably outrun and out push up most of the people that use blog spot.) The Army has a program (do you sense a pattern here?) where they can "compassionately reassign soldiers so that they can take care of ailing relatives. I applied for this and was told that my mother should be sufficient for his needs. Well because of the isolation my father was in (mom does have to work ya know) he has now had an emotional breakdown, and has been hospitalised.

Now my job in the Army is important (at least I think it is) and it is something of an advisory role. I literally am paid to think outside the box about the bad guys and make my observations known to the people who make the big decisions. However due to my rank (or lack their of) my observations are not viewed as being all that relevant... and these are decisions that could, and have put soldiers lives in  real danger. That is all I am going to say about that.

So I was thinking to my self as I power walked to work yesterday trying to get there on time; "why do I try so hard, when the Army does not reciprocate?" (Actually I didn't use the word reciprocate in my thoughts, but you get the point. It really starts to get to me as I continue to walk, and I can not think of a single reason to keep pushing. That is when the Lord brings to mind his words through Rav Shaul, "Servants, obey in all things [your] masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: And whatsoever ye do, do [it] heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ." (and yes I did think in KJV, thank you very much)

Thank you for reminding me Lord. I do not work for the Army, they just print out my paychecks. I am supposed to do whatever my hands find to do as though I am doing them for G-d. Try to remember that the next time your boss gets on your nerves. You don't work for them.

Side Note: Samson Raphael Hirsch once wrote "the place where a child's soul breathes is holy ground". I know that some of my readers (or future readers as I ave two followers thus far) are home schoolers. I want you to know, if you didn't already that you are fulfilling a mitzvot that is close and dear to G-ds heart. Do you realise that when G-d said "Shema Israel, Adonai Elohainu, Adonai Echad" in practically the same breath he said "And you shall teach them (Torah) diligently unto your children". You are fulfilling the will of G-d in a time when such a thing is frowned upon in our culture and I commend you for taking a stand. May the blessings of the most high be upon you.


Be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. http://seekingtruthintorah.blogspot.com/ A blog you might like

    ReplyDelete